Alibaba.com Regulations for Mobile Phones (Including Used Phones)
I. Purpose and Basis
To better regulate the mobile phone market on Alibaba.com, maintain good market order, and improve the shopping experience of global buyers, we formulate the Regulations based on Alibaba.com General Provisions.
II. Applicable Scope
The Regulations apply to new and used mobile phone sellers on Alibaba.com, including members of Export Link, Global Plus, or Verified Supplier from Mainland China.
The Regulations constitute an effective supplement to Alibaba.com General Provisions. Both shall be mandatory for sellers who market mobile phones including used ones on Alibaba.com by means including but not limited to short videos and live streaming. When a product falls under the scope of the Regulations, the Regulations shall prevail. Otherwise, Alibaba.com General Provisions shall apply.
IV. Product Release
Sellers who market mobile phones including used ones on Alibaba.com by means including but not limited to short videos and live streaming shall abide by Alibaba.com General Provisions, applicable rules, and the following supplementary regulations:
1. New Mobile Phone Listing Regulations
- Sellers shall publish consistent and authentic information about mobile phone parameters and hardware configuration, including but not limited to memory, camera specs, screen size/resolution, battery capacity, CPU model, and supported network band, in the product details page, product title, and master photo.
- Mobile phones shall be listed in the following category: Consumer electronics > Mobile phone & Accessories > Mobile phones.
- Sellers shall not list refurbished phones or sell them as used ones. For details, see the Announcement on Banning the Sales of Refurbished Mobile Phones on Alibaba.com at https://rule.alibaba.com/rule/detail/4696.htm?spm=a271m.8038972.1999288231.7.25fe495bcB5mzU
- From August 1, 2021, the "Mobile phones" category will remove the "condition" attribute. All used phones shall be listed in Consumer Electronics > Mobile Phone & Accessories > Used mobile phones.
- All mobile phones shall be priced within a reasonable range according to their hardware configuration. The platform will carry out regular spot checks, exclude products involving false information from search results, and remove or completely delete such products. For penalty details, see Alibaba.com's Rules for Enforcement Actions against Non-compliance Relating to Inappropriate Product Postings.
>> Violations include but are not limited to the following:
- Product prices are far from reasonable given their hardware configuration.
- The lower end of the price range is abnormally low.
2. Supplementary Regulations on Used Mobile Phones (subject to New Mobile Phone Listing Regulations)
- Sellers shall not list refurbished mobile phones or sell them as used ones. The platform will carry out regular spot checks, and remove or completely delete rule-breaking products.
Refurbished mobile phones refer to phones whose main parts are not original, including but not limited to the screen, mainboard, memory, camera, and shell.
- Sellers shall not list and sell used mobile phones depreciated by more than 20%. (For the definition of used mobile phone grade, see VI. Product Detail Pages.)
- Sellers shall provide consistent and authentic information about used mobile phones, including but not limited to the brand, series, and merchant information, in the product title, master photo, attributes, and product detail page.
- Used mobile phones shall be listed in the following category: Consumer electronics > Mobile phone & Accessories > Used mobile phones.
- Only used mobile phones with the same grades from the same series can be posted with the same link.
(Note: Products with different grades from the same series are different products and shall be posted with different links, such as iPhone 11 A grade and iPhone 11 B grade. Products with the same grade but different attributes, such as different colors and storage capacities, from the same series, can be posted with the same link (e.g.: iPhone 11 A grade in white and black).
V. Product Attributes
- Information about the attributes of the new and used mobile phones must be filled in completely, truly and correctly as required in the product posting system.
- Product attributes that are irrelevant to the attributes required are banned from being filled in. For example, the water-proof function shall not be filled in for screen size.
- Supplementary notes about the attributes of used phones
Grade (grade of used mobile phone)
Fill in based on actual situations.
A+: The mobile phone is 99% new.
A: The mobile phone is 90% new.
B: The mobile phone is 80% new.
No scratch - A+ grade
Slight scratch - A grade
Obvious scratch - B grade
Accessories: Earphones, chargers, and data cables
With original accessories
With third party accessories
Fill in according to the places where used mobile phones were sold when they were new and the versions shall align with the series shown in the system.
Basic configurations of mobile phones
Fill in based on actual configurations, including but not limited to screen size, screen resolution, front camera, rear camera, and battery capacity.
※※Definitions of Used Mobile Phone Grades on Alibaba.com※※
A+: 99% new or all new - unused mobile phones or mobile phones which have yet to be activated though their packages have been opened, with normal functions, no scratches on screens or bodies, and 100% remaining power consumption.
A: 90% new - mobile phones with normal functions, a few scratches, dents or wear on screens or bodies, as well as ≥ 80% power consumption.
B: 80% new - mobile phones with normal functions, obvious scratches, dents or wear on screens or bodies, as well as ≥ 80% power consumption.
VI. Product Detail Pages
While posting mobile phones, sellers are recommended to add product detail information according to the following modules (with respect to uncovered content, sellers can add information based on their needs):
- "Product Master Photos": Master photos are the front and back views of a mobile phone, while minor photos are render views from other angles.
- "Product Parameter": Including but not limited to series, memory, screen size, resolution, supported network band, CPU model, and battery capacity.
- "Detail Presentation": Factors can be designed based on product dimensions to showcase product features.
- "Package Information": Packing list is complete, including accessories (earphones, chargers, and data cables).
- "FAQs": Sellers can design this module according to the questions frequently asked by customers to reduce disputes.
- "Brand Introduction": As mobile phone branding is increasingly important, sellers can introduce the brands of their products in accordance with the market positioning of the products to enhance customers' recognition of the brands.
- "Grade": This module is for used products only, including descriptions of different grades and corresponding detailed photos.
VII. Instructions on Trade Assurance Transactions
1. After-sales disputes over new and used mobile phones will be handled in accordance with the Alibaba.com Transaction Dispute Settlement Rules.
2. Online trade assurance transactions of used mobile phones have been suspended now. For more details, refer to the Announcement on the Suspension of Online Trading of Used Mobile Phones.
Implementation of the rules
These rules will come into force upon the expiry of the publicity period, which will last from July 20-31, 2021.
FAQs for sellers
(1) Why are refurbished phones banned on the platform?
Refurbished phones, except certified ones, have risks like unclear sourcing channels and unwarranted quality. To reduce risks in product quality and security and create a good environment for supply and sales, Alibaba.com decided to prohibit the sales of refurbished mobile phones.
(2) How will refurbished phone sellers be punished?
Refurbished phone sellers will be ordered to delete involved product links and their points will be deducted if serious violations are detected.
(3) Can used mobile phones be delivered via Alibaba's logistics services?
Used mobile phones are not supported by Alibaba's logistics lines for the time being. Sellers can resort to their third-party partners for logistics.