Explanatory Note regarding Upgrade of Quick Refund Rules for Trade Assurance Orders on Alibaba.com
I. Explanatory Note regarding upgrade of quick refund rules:
In order to speed up the settlement of disputes between buyers and sellers regarding trade assurance on the Alibaba.com International Website (“Alibaba.com”), we have upgraded the following quick refund-related rules on Alibaba.com: (i) Explanatory Note regarding Right to Quick Refund for Direct Purchase Trade Assurance Orders on Alibaba.com; (ii) Explanatory Note regarding Right to Late Delivery Refund for Direct Purchase Trade Assurance Orders on Alibaba.com;and (iii) Explanatory Note regarding Right to Quick Refund Where the Seller Fails to Respond to the Buyer Within Five Days for Direct Purchase Trade Assurance Orders on Alibaba.com (hereinafter referred to as the "Quick Refund-Related Rules"). “Quick Refund’ on Alibaba.com refers to the following three (3) scenarios: (i) refund for no reason within two (2) hours, (ii) refund for late delivery and (iii) refund for no response after five (5) days) in respect of trade assurance orders in the after-sales refund stage. The two main amendments made to the Quick Refund Related Rules are summarized as follows:
1.The types of orders supported by the original Quick Refund-Related rules are extended from direct purchase trade assurance orders to all types of trade assurance orders (exclusive of Direct Pay Orders).
2.The applicable limit for the amount of the trade assurance order will increase from less than or equal to USD 200 to less than or equal to USD 500.
II. Eligibility for Quick Refund-:
1. Order type: Trade assurance orders (excluding Direct Pay Orders) where the amount is less than or equal to USD 500.
2. Online payment methods supported: Credit/debit Card, online transfer, online bank payment, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal.
III. Specific scenarios applicable to Quick Refund Related Rules:
1. Refund for no reason within two (2) hours: If the order status is still "Pending Shipment", then within two (2) hours after the buyer completes the payment, the buyer may click "Apply for refund" and apply for a full refund on Alibaba.com. The system will automatically process the refund and close the order, saving the trouble of the buyer in having to negotiate with the seller.
2. Late delivery refund: When a buyer initiates a full refund request for overdue shipping, and the order status is "pending shipment", the seller must accept the buyer’s refund request within 72 hours or negotiate with the buyer to cancel the refund request. If the seller fails to accept and the buyer does not cancel the refund request, the system will automatically process the refund and close the order.
3. Refund for no response after 5 days: After a buyer submits or modifies a refund request, ① the seller must respond to the buyer's request (accept / provide an alternative resolution for the buyer's refund request) within five (5) calendar days. If the seller fails to respond within five (5) calendar days, Alibaba.com will process the refund as per the buyer's refund request. ② If the seller has responded, the buyer also needs to respond within five (5) calendar days. The system will otherwise automatically cancel the refund request. ③ After the seller provides the initial response to the refund request, both the buyer and the seller may request for Alibaba.com to step in. The entire duration of the refund negotiation shall be no longer than 30 days. If the buyer and the seller fails to reach an agreement within 30 days, Alibaba.com shall automatically step in to handle the refund request.
IV. Other notes:
- Alibaba.com will make the necessary adjustments to the timing requirements set out above for Quick Refunds during public holidays, subject to any relevant announcements.
- This Explanatory Note is published on 6th July 2021, and shall become effect on 15th July 2021 (“Effective Date”). In the event where any member of Alibaba.com has any issue with regard to this Explanatory Note, please contact us prior to the Effective Date.